In this article you will learn how to assign or deny rights to the different users in your seventhings Inventory Manager.
You can only assign rights for other people, not for yourself.
Definition by cases:
We distinguish between two cases for the assignment of user rights:
Depending on whether relatively few or many useres are registered in the system, the following solutions come into play for you:
You have relatively few users in the system
- With a number of about 5-10 users it makes sense to set the rights manually
- In the system settings the function "role management" must be deactivated
Step by step:
- Navigate to "Settings" and click on "Users"
- If you don't see the users tab, you are not authorised for it. Contact the admin and ask him to give you the right for it. (You can find it under the user rights as "User administration").
- You will now see the list of users, use the key icon to select the user for which you want to configure the user rights:
- Here you can activate and deactivate the functions for all menu items individually:
- If you are not sure what exactly is meant by the individual rights, you can see the explanation via a mouse-over:
- If you deactivate the button next to the headline, like here for example at 'Objects', all related functions will be deactivated automatically:
You have a relatively large number of users in the system:
- If there are more than 10 users, it is adviced to not set the user rights manually for each individual user, but to create roles and then assign them (even multiple times).
- One role could be e.g. 'interns', who only be abel to do inventory but are not abel to change field setting etc. in the system.
- Another role could be, for example, that someone may use all rights and accordingly gets assigned an 'Admin' role.
- The "Role management" function must therefore be activated.
- Navigate to "Settings" and click on "System settings"
- activate via the yes/no button the function "Role management" and safe your changes
- In the "Settings" menu, "Role management" now appears as a selection:
- the following view opens:
- By default, 2 roles are already available, which can be assigned initially. Editing or deleting these two roles is not possible:
- Instance admin - This user has full rights over all functions.
- Default user - This user has all rights except those of user administration, role administration and system settings
- To the left of one of these users you can see a small check mark (here in the example next to 'Standard-User')
- This checkmark says that this role will be assigned by default when creating each new user, before assigning another role to the user. The check mark thus determines the so-called default user role.
- If you want to change the default user role, just click the icon with the figure:
- the following message appears:
- Additional roles can be created and defined as default role (assigned to each new user)
Create new roles:
- Using the "Create" button, roles with different user rights can be created, the following view appears
- Give the role a name and set up the individual rights:
- Go to "Settings" in the menu and click on "Users"
- To assign a role for the existing users, simply click on the key icon to the left of the user:
- Now select the role in the dropdown box on the right and confirm your selection by clicking "Update":